The Woman in Islam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Females nails
Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 pm by Ithar Ghada Faied

» Cutting fingernails
Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 1:04 pm by Ithar Ghada Faied

» Shaving the moustache and other questions
Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:53 pm by Ithar Ghada Faied

» Fearing harm for having a beard
Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 pm by Ithar Ghada Faied

» Trimming the beard
Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 pm by Ithar Ghada Faied

» Hindaba (Chicory)
Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 pm by Ithar Ghada Faied

»  Etiquettes of differing in Islam
Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:13 pm by Ithar Ghada Faied

» Suffering in the path of Da'wah
Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:54 pm by Ithar Ghada Faied

» Conditions of trade transactions
Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:45 pm by Ithar Ghada Faied

Our Boutique
Our Wall Decals Page
translator

Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise

Go down

Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Empty Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise

Post by Ithar Ghada Faied Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Hafsah Bint ‘Umar may Allah be pleased with her, was born five years before the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, became a Prophet. She was six years older than her brother 'Abdullaah may Allah be pleased with him. She was a beautiful and pious woman.

Her first marriage was to Khunays Ibn Huthaafah Ibn Qays as-Sahami may Allah be pleased with him, who was from Quraysh. He took part in the two emigrations (to Abyssinia and Al-Madeenah). He fought in the battles of Badr and Uhud. In the latter battle he was fatally wounded and died shortly thereafter in Al-Madeenah. Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, was 18 years old at that time.

‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him, was depressed because of his daughter's affliction, since she had become a widow at such a young age. Whenever he went home and saw his sad daughter, he grieved. After thinking for a long period, he decided to choose a husband for her, to provide her with what she had lost of repose for six months or more.

‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him, approached Abu Bakr may Allah be pleased with him the dearest person to the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, and offered her hand in marriage to him.

‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him, thought that Abu Bakr may Allah be pleased with him would not refuse to marry a young, pious woman who was the daughter of the man by whom Allah supported Islam. Having sympathetically listened to him, Abu Bakr may Allah be pleased with him did not respond.

‘Umar went back with a broken heart and almost did not believe what had happened. He then went to 'Uthmaan Ibn 'Affaan may Allah be pleased with him, whose wife, Ruqayyah may Allah be pleased with her, the daughter of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, had recently died.

‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him offered him his daughter in marriage, but 'Uthmaan may Allah be pleased with him apologized by saying: "I think I would not like to marry at the present time."

‘Umar's gloom increased by 'Uthmaan's refusal. He became upset and angry with his two companions, mentioning it to the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, complaining about Abu Bakr and ‘Uthmaan may Allah be pleased with them.

Thereupon the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, smiled and said: "Hafsah will get a husband who is better than 'Uthmaan and 'Uthmaan will get a wife better than Hafsah." [Al-Bukhaari]

After that, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, himself married Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her and 'Uthmaan may Allah be pleased with him in turn married Umm Kulthoom, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam's other daughter may Allah be pleased with her.

Accordingly, ‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him was elated to receive such a great honor which he had never imagined possible earlier. He went off to tell the good news to whomever he met.

When Abu Bakr may Allah be pleased with him met him, he realized the source of his joy. ‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him told him of his unhappiness at Abu Bakr's refusal to reply when he had offered Hafsah's hand to him.

Abu Bakr may Allah be pleased with him congratulated him and apologized by saying: "Do not be angry with me, ‘Umar, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, mentioned Hafsah before, and I could not disclose the secret of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. Had he left her, I would have married her."

Since the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, had mentioned Hafsah to him, he did not want to disclose the Prophet’s sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam's secret.

The people of Al-Madeenah were pleased with the Prophet’s sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, marriage to Hafsah Bint ‘Umar may Allah be pleased with her. It was contracted in the month of Sha'baan in the 3rd year of Hijrah.

Thus, Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, joined the rank of the pure wives of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, the Mothers of the Believers, who were by then, Sawdah and 'Aa’ishah may Allah be pleased with them; and became a member of the household of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam.

Sawdah may Allah be pleased with her was happy to see her but 'Aa’ishah, may Allah be please with her, was upset because Hafsah was within her age group and she feared that Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, would share the love of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam.

‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him, knew very well that the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, loved 'Aa’ishah may Allah be pleased with her, more than any of the other wives and at times tried to make his daughter aware of this fact. He once said to her: "You are not like 'Aa’ishah and your father is not like her father."

When the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, deserted his wives because they became too demanding, ‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him once again advised Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her to be careful saying: "You should not be deceived by the one who has been motivated by her beauty and the love of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, for her (referring to 'Aa’ishah)."

When the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, married his other wives ‘Aa’ishah may Allah be pleased with her began to realize that her protestations were in vain and she made a friend of Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her.

Among the other wives of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, 'Aa’ishah may Allah be pleased with her, was the most intimate and the closest one to Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her. It was Hafsah and 'Aa’ishah may Allah be pleased with them, who supported each other against the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, in a domestic intrigue which is mentioned in the Qur'an.

It is also mentioned in a tradition reported in the book of Imaam Al-Bukhaari may Allah have mercy upon him:

'Aa’ishah may Allah be pleased with her, narrated: “Allah's Messenger sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, used to drink honey in the house of Zaynab Bint Jahsh and would stay there with her. So Hafsah and I agreed secretly that if he comes to either of us she would say to him: 'It seems you have eaten Maghaafir (a kind of flower whose nectar is sucked by the honey bee, and has slightly bad smell) for I smell in you the smell of Maghaafir,' (we did so) and he replied: 'No, but I was drinking honey in the house of Zaynab, the daughter of Jahsh, and I shall never take it again. I have taken an oath as to that, and you should not tell anybody about it.’” [Al-Bukhaari]

The idea was to suggest to him that this bad smell came from his mouth because of his taking that particular honey.

The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, has always disliked strong smells especially on his breath. He then forbade honey unto himself for which Allah revealed (what means): {O Prophet, why do you prohibit (yourself from) what Allah has made lawful for you, seeking the approval of your wives? And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. Allah has already ordained for you (Muslims) the dissolution of your oaths. And Allah is your Protector, and He is The Knowing, The Wise.} [Qur'an 66: 1-2]
Ithar Ghada Faied
Ithar Ghada Faied
Admin

Female Posts : 412
Birthday : 1978-01-13
Location Location : Buenos Aires, Argentina

http://thewomaninislam.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise Empty Re: Hafsah Bint ‘Umar: the Prophet’s wife in Paradise

Post by Ithar Ghada Faied Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:59 pm

We learn from the book of Imaam Al-Bukhaari may Allah have mercy upon him, that Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, was a bit short-tempered and sometimes would even answer the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, back. One day, her father, ‘Umar bin al-Khattaab may Allah be pleased with him, who had come to know this, went to her and asked: "I have heard that you talk to the Noble Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, as if you were on an equal footing with him. Is it true?" Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her replied: “Of course! I do”.
‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him, said: "My daughter, I warn you of Allah's punishment. Do not compete with ‘Aa'ishah, who is proud of her beauty due to the Prophet’s sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, love for her."

Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, would never hesitate in asking the Noble Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, questions on any topic or problem. Once the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, said: “The companions of Badr and Hudaibiyyah will not enter Hell.”

Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, quickly said: "O Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam! Allah Says that everyone of you will pass over Hell."

The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, answered her: “Yes! But Allah also says in Soorah Maryam (what means): {Then We will save those who feared Allah and leave the wrongdoers within it, on their knees.} [Quran 19:72]

The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, divorced Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, once when she sided against him and disclosed his secret (mentioned before, in the story regarding ‘Aa’ishah may Allah be pleased with her and the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam’s oath not to drink honey). But Jibreel came to him, and told him to take her back and said: “Take Hafsah back because she is keeping fasts and is observing prayer in the last parts of the night, and she is going to be your wife in Paradise.”

Allah Says (what means): {And (remember) when the Prophet confided to one of his wives a statement; and when she informed (another) of it and Allah showed it to him, he made known part of it and ignored a part. And when he informed her about it, she said: ‘Who told you this?’ He said: ‘I was informed by the All-Knowing, the Acquainted.’ If you two (wives) repent to Allah, (it is best), for your hearts have deviated. But if you cooperate against him – then indeed Allah is his Protector, and Gabriel and the righteous of the believers and the angels, moreover, are (his) assistants.} [Qur'an 66: 3-4]

Ibn 'Abbaas may Allah be pleased with him narrated: “For the whole year I had the desire to ask ‘Umar bin al-Khattaab may Allah be pleased with him regarding the explanation of a verse (in Soorah At-Tahreem), but I could not ask him because I respected him very much. When he went to perform Hajj, I too went along with him. On our return while we were still on the way home ‘Umar may Allah be pleased with him, went aside to answer the call of nature by the Arak trees. I waited until he had finished then I proceeded with him, and asked him: ‘O Chief of the Believers, who were the two wives of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, who aided one another against him?’

He said: ‘They were Hafsah and ‘Aa'ishah.' Then I said to him: 'By Allah. I wanted to ask you about this a year ago, but I could not do so owing to my respect for you.' 'Umar may Allah be pleased with him, said: 'Do not refrain from asking me. If you think that I have knowledge (about a certain matter), ask me; and if I know (something about it), I will tell you.'

Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, realized the gravity of what she had done to her noble husband when she disclosed his secret. However, after the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, forgave her, she lived in tranquility and repose again.

Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, seemed to be very attached and close to her father, who used to consult her in matters relating to women. Once he noticed a woman reciting poetry about her husband who was away on Jihaad. 'Umar may Allah be pleased with him, was disturbed, and asked Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, how long a woman may remain without her husband. She said six months, upon which 'Umar may Allah be pleased with him, issued a decree to all of his commanders to relieve every warrior after every six months.

When the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, died and Abu Bakr may Allah be pleased with him succeeded him, it was Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, who was chosen to keep the first copy of the Noble Qur'an.

She continued worshipping Allah devoutly, fasting, praying, and keeping the copy of the Muslims’ constitution, the immortal miracle and the source of legislation and belief: the Qur'an.

When the second compilation of the Qur'an was made during the caliphate of 'Uthmaan may Allah be pleased with him, she was asked to bring that copy, which she did, after putting the condition that when the work was completed, her copy would be returned to her.

After the standard copy was made, 'Uthmaan may Allah be pleased with him had decided that all the different versions of the Qur'an should be destroyed, but he was unable to do it with Hafsah's copy because of the condition she had attached. It was only after her death that the copy was discovered and destroyed.

Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her occupies a high position as far as scholarship and piety are concerned. She reported 60 Ahaadeeth from the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. Out of these, four are agreed upon, six are in the book of Imaam Muslim may Allah have mercy upon him, and the remaining are in the other books of traditions.

When her father, the Caliph of the Muslims, felt he was about to die after being stabbed by Abu Lu'lu'ah the Zoroastrian in the month of Thul-Hijjah 23 AH, Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, was the guardian of what he left of inheritance.

Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, took custody of all his important documents including his copy of the Glorious Qur'an, which was compiled during the time of Abu Bakr's Caliphate.

Before her death, she made a will to ‘Abdullaah bin 'Umar may Allah be pleased with him, that her property at Gahba should be donated in charity. Hafsah may Allah be pleased with her, had no children from the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam.

Hafsah, may Allah be pleased her, lived with the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, in Al-Madeenah for eight years, and lived on for another thirty-four years after his death; witnessing with joy the victories and expansion of Islam under her father's guidance, and with sorrow the troubles that beset the Muslim community after the murder of 'Uthmaan may Allah be pleased with him. She passed away during the reign of Mu'aawiyyah bin Abu Sufyaan may Allah be pleased with him, in 47 AH at the age of sixty-three.
Ithar Ghada Faied
Ithar Ghada Faied
Admin

Female Posts : 412
Birthday : 1978-01-13
Location Location : Buenos Aires, Argentina

http://thewomaninislam.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down